Friday, October 22, 2010

Hearst Newspapers Free Postcard Supplement

If you subscribed or bought a Hearst Sunday newspaper on December 27, 1903, you would have received this free postcard supplement. Then you could have cut them apart and mailed them off to friends and relatives telling them how much you loved the Christmas gifts they sent you.

They were printed on regular paper, not card stock, but the postal service was so gentle back then that I'm sure they arrived in good shape. I have more of these from 1903 and 1904, but Hearst made them as late as 1907. Here's the back side of the cards.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting to peruse the subject matter of the pictures. What would editors select today as timely and fascinating?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that they were on regular paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scanning these cards is immortalizing them, frail as they are. Paper ephemera. Not even diamonds are forever, given a Tunguska-like event. Seriously. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to look up the Tunguska event, because somehow I had never heard of it. Anyway, you're right...I guess that's why they call it ephemera.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the volcano postcard. I think if you mailed it to someone to thank them for the ....[ugly tie, fruitcake, whatever white elephant they gave you for Christmas] -- I think they would possibly question your sincerity and might even get the hint to not ever send you that for Christmas again:)hehehe

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails