Saturday, September 12, 2009

Birthday Greetings


Raphael Tuck and Sons started producing postcards in the mid 1800s in England. They were the publishers to the King and Queen and also had printing houses in Paris and new York. In the United States, many of the postcards were designed by American artists, but the cards were printed abroad, often in Germany or England. Raphael Tuck and Sons was destroyed during the London bombing blitz of WWII.

The message on this card reads:
Many Happy Returns,
Your Loving Brother,
Davie
July 1917
(Carlisle)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks-- what a lovely card and it reminds me of the time before my operation, when I was still "Davie"...
    xox
    Little Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the last word is: (Carlisle).

    Love your website - where do you get all the background information on the cards/images?

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karin,
    I think you're right, so I edited the post! As to your question, I get most of the background information just by searching the internet.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails